about me

Kevin Bussey (aka k-dawg)
Lead Pastor
Charlotte, NC, USA


Samford University: B.S. Public Administration, 1985
University of Alabama at Birmingham: M.A. Education, 1988

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary: MDivBL, 1995


Married to:
Cassandra (6-25-88)

Children:
Jacob
Hope

quote of the week

"Pastor I don't like your plans" Bisagno, "what are your plans." man, "I don't have any." Bisagno, "I like my plans better than yours." .

Dr. John R. Bisagno:


blogs i read

marty duren
joe kennedy
art rogers
stuart delony
wade burleson
kiki cherry
david phillips
dorcas hawker
arkansas rasorbaptist
cb scott
ben cole
tim sweatman
jason sampler
mark mansheim
adam feldman
scott freeman
wes kenny
alan cross
john stickley
bowden mcelroy
c w
jamie wootten
nate goodwin
paul littleton
jeff richard young
J. A. Gillmartin
villa rica
phillips lynn
micah fries
preachin jesus
morris chapman
tim sweetman
kevin lancaster
jeremy roberts
al mohler
ronnie floyd
david rogers
sbc bloggers
greg pouncey
jason burns
howie luvzus
gary lamb
angela davis
neil elmore
jason shepherd
monday morning insight
wayne cordeiro
Southern Baptist Blog Aggregator

favorite links

dmbc
my parents ministry
starbucks
starbucks gossip
the ooze
willowcreek association
purpose driven
northpoint community church
springs church
albert pujols
shaun alexander
john maxwell
element 2
dale jarrett
bama magazine
bible gateway
biblical studies foundation

subscribe here

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Student Guru!


powered by Bloglet

listening [to]


building 429: rise


chris tomlin: live from austin music hall


various: music inspired by the chronicles of narnia


fusebox: once again


passion: How Great Is Our God


storyside:b : everything and more


delirious?: the mission bell


hillsong united: look to you



 

Monday, April 17, 2006

Newest twist on the Lord's Supper

My friend Stuart Delony wrote about this on his blog. Episcopal Churches are trying to attract people to come to their churches by playing U2 songs during their Eucharist (for all of you Baptist's that is Lord Supper). Read about it here. I agree with Stuart here. Isn't the Lord's Supper suppose to be built around--say "JESUS." I'm all about innovation, but this is going over the edge don't you think? I love U2, but at communion? What's next? Lynyrd Skynyrd during the invitation? How about Garth Brooks during the Prelude? Eminem during the Offering? Sister Sledge during the prayers. Why not Poison at a funeral? How about Winger at a wedding (16?). We could do Amy Grant's Baby-Baby at a child dedication. What do you think? What other groups could be played and when?

posted by Kevin Bussey at 4/17/2006 10:00:00 AM

13 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Wootten said...

I read about this in a paper a few days ago and I too found it very troubling. Kevin I'm with you. Innovation is one thing but I think this one went way out of bounds.

In my opinion when it comes to the Lord's Supper the line between reverence and relevance is razor thin.

4/17/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Jamie,

I usually have humor in all of my messages. Of course from my blog, that is probably obvious. But we did the LS a few weeks ago and I had no humor. I don't find the death of Jesus very funny.

I don't have a problem playing a U2 song in a video or even if the praise band wanted to use "Gloria" or "Streets with No Name." But to play any rock and roll song during communion just to get people to come to church--I'm not comfortable with that.

4/17/2006 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie Wootten said...

Yea, Paul's admonition in 1 Cor 11 reeks with humor and relevance doesn't it?!?!?!?!

4/17/2006 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger David Phillips said...

Well...per your "suggestion" that we play a little Lynard Skynard at the invitiation, I would have to say only if it's a little "Sweet Home Alabama"!??!!!!

That's right next to heaven isn't it? :-D

4/17/2006 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Amen David!

I love that song, but I was thinking more like... FREEBIRD!

4/17/2006 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Kevin,

I admit the idea of streamers during the "liturgy of the Eucharist" may well be out of place. I am not sure we could say an anthem produced by U2 is out of bounds for Communion. Some of the lyrics are very thought-provoking and stem from, at least it seems, an understanding of what it means to follow Jesus.

There are plenty of Baptists hymns that have less than stellar theolgical basis and yet we often find them played and sung because they are safe.

I am not condoning an "any means to get them here" posture. However, there are plenty of other illustrations more crass than playing some edgy U2.

Just my .02.

4/17/2006 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger Joe Kennedy said...

Isn't the real issue that they're trying to attract people to come to church using the Eucharist, which is supposed to be closed to the community of Christ (not the big "C" Community of Christ, which is RLDS)? I don't understand Eucharist/Communion/TLS as an attractional ministry. Forgetting what's being played in the background.

4/17/2006 06:11:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

At a church I pastored about eight years ago there was a family that had Freebird played at their son's funeral service (this was before they called me - actually the church didn't have a pastor at the time and one of the deacons preached the funeral service. The grandfather got so disgusted he left his own grandson's funeral).

Sadly, when they got to the graveside it actually got worse.

4/17/2006 06:47:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Todd,

I have no problem with the U2 or even their music being played in a service. I said in a comment above I think Gloria or Streets with no Name would be great.

My problem is having a LS service revolving around U2. The service should revolve around Jesus and if you have U2 or Lifehouse or AC/DC playing just point people to Jesus.

Joe,

You are right!

Paul,

That is sad.

4/17/2006 08:14:00 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Kevin,

I agree corporate worship should be centered around King Jesus. I should have said a Communion service where U2 is played is not wrong so long as the music points to the King. Should the two become reversed scrap the music without hesitation. I don't believe they are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Joe,

Do you dismiss those who are not Christ-followers from your service before celebrating the Lord's Supper?

4/17/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Todd,

I think we agree!

4/17/2006 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger Joe Kennedy said...

Todd, do we advertise the Lord's Supper? I mean, part of me cringes when So and So Church advertises their "contemporary worship service," but do we also advertise Communion? No. A lot of churches say, at least at some point before Communion, that it is something that really is only for Christians. I'm trying to think of something comparable. Ah, how about this. Do faculty advertise the faculty lounge to the students they teach? It's a great tease to say, "come here because we do this" and then say, "you can't do this because you're not a Christian, and if you do, you'll regret it, yada, yada, yada."

Only if you believe that the Eucharist transfers grace would you want to attract people to the Eucharist itself. Perhaps that's the root of it all. And certainly I have to disagree with that.

4/17/2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Joe,

I understand your point. I am not ready to say Communion "confers" or "transfers" grace. I will go on record as saying I think we take the Supper too lightly and that it may mean more/have more significance than we have traditionally given it (at least as I grew up observing the LS).

We still cannot "dismiss" folks from our service to observe Communion. There is a compelling phrase a pastor friend once used regarding guests who do not follow Jesus. It is as though they get to "over hear" what we are about/doing. In that process they come to understand how we have been given a place at the "table" by the grace work of Jesus Christ.

We may not advertise Communion. But, we should allow people to see just how we value our place near after having been so far and to reduce what we do to some merely symbolic gesture may not go far enough to communicate the declaration of the gospel of Good News in the "shared meal."

We do however agree the Supper is for the people of God.

4/18/2006 10:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

get to know me

article in local paper
i am recovering pharisee
origin of k-dawg


Reading Now

The Cure for the Common Life
by Max Lucado



Recent Reads

The Creative Leader: Unleashing the Power of Your Creative Potential
by Ed Young Jr.


Your Spritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow
by C. Peter Wagner



Why Men Hate Going to Church
by David Murrow


Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
by Aubrey Malphurs



must reads


The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
by Andy Stanley


Choosing to Cheat : Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
by Andy Stanley


The Best Question Ever
by Andy Stanley


Radical Reformission, The: Reaching Out without Selling Out
by Mark Driscoll


A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
by Brian McLaren


The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren


Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
by Bill Hybels


A Passionate Church
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad


A Passionate Life
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad



Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
by Donald Miller


Searching for God Knows What
by Donald Miller



Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda
by Henry Blackaby, Richard Blackaby


previous posts

Whew.....................
Easter Thoughts
On the condition of anonymity.....
Is it better to be right or save people from hell?
A true fisher of men............
Wisdom from the Plains............
Public Service for SBC Convention.
Anticipation......
What is Revival?
Nuke plant loses keys.....

creative commons
Subscribe with Bloglines Blogarama - The Blogs Directory Add to My Yahoo! Southern Baptist Blog
Aggregator Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My blog is worth $18,065.28.
How much is your blog worth?

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
&