about me

Kevin Bussey (aka k-dawg)
Lead Pastor
Charlotte, NC, USA


Samford University: B.S. Public Administration, 1985
University of Alabama at Birmingham: M.A. Education, 1988

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary: MDivBL, 1995


Married to:
Cassandra (6-25-88)

Children:
Jacob
Hope

quote of the week

"Pastor I don't like your plans" Bisagno, "what are your plans." man, "I don't have any." Bisagno, "I like my plans better than yours." .

Dr. John R. Bisagno:


blogs i read

marty duren
joe kennedy
art rogers
stuart delony
wade burleson
kiki cherry
david phillips
dorcas hawker
arkansas rasorbaptist
cb scott
ben cole
tim sweatman
jason sampler
mark mansheim
adam feldman
scott freeman
wes kenny
alan cross
john stickley
bowden mcelroy
c w
jamie wootten
nate goodwin
paul littleton
jeff richard young
J. A. Gillmartin
villa rica
phillips lynn
micah fries
preachin jesus
morris chapman
tim sweetman
kevin lancaster
jeremy roberts
al mohler
ronnie floyd
david rogers
sbc bloggers
greg pouncey
jason burns
howie luvzus
gary lamb
angela davis
neil elmore
jason shepherd
monday morning insight
wayne cordeiro
Southern Baptist Blog Aggregator

favorite links

dmbc
my parents ministry
starbucks
starbucks gossip
the ooze
willowcreek association
purpose driven
northpoint community church
springs church
albert pujols
shaun alexander
john maxwell
element 2
dale jarrett
bama magazine
bible gateway
biblical studies foundation

subscribe here

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Student Guru!


powered by Bloglet

listening [to]


building 429: rise


chris tomlin: live from austin music hall


various: music inspired by the chronicles of narnia


fusebox: once again


passion: How Great Is Our God


storyside:b : everything and more


delirious?: the mission bell


hillsong united: look to you



 

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My ideas for a perfect North American Mission Board....

Marty Duren asked on his site, You are the new President of NAMB. What are your goals? That is a great question. I made a comment and one of the North American Mission Board (NAMB) Trustees e-mailed me to tell me that they want our imput! Cool! That is so refreshing! He/she may be the only one who wants my ideas but since he/she was so kind to ask I will give my ideas for the perfect NAMB. I was a NAMB Missionary for 2 years so I do have some insight to how NAMB works. Plus, I have many friends who work at NAMB in Alpharetta and I have great respect for them. 1. Start Fewer but better funded Church Plants. When we started our church I was grateful to Dr. Reccord and Dr. Harris for their moral and financial support. But we started our church with just our family. That was hard and lonely.
  • I think it would be better for NAMB to start Well funded church starts with a minimum of 3 full-time staff members @ the beginning.
  • Fund the church starts for at least 5 years! (I can't tell you how hard it is to see your bank account at zero and you only have 6 months left of funding.)
  • Building Church Planting in the New Start's DNA. Have them start a daughter churches.

2. NAMB needs to be the Evangelism Guru's of the SBC.

I have several friends who work in the Evangelism @ NAMB. I have never been around people with such a passion for souls as them. It is frustrating and dishearting to develop an Evangelism Strategy for the SBC (THE NET) yet have Lifeway push FAITH. Nothing against FAITH but Lifeway's mission is to sell books not create evangelism strategies.

3. Provide Free Top-notch Multi-Media for small to medium sized churches.

Let's face it, usually only the mega-churches can afford top-notch media. I would welcome top-notch free video clips, powerpoints, and direct mail that would help us reach our community.

4. Continue to Dream Big.

Don't allow number crunchers to scare NAMB from trying daring ventures! I would rather fail and try then to do the same old boring things that don't win people to Jesus!

I don't have all of the ideas in the world, but I am encouraged to know at least one trustee is listening to us! I hope this is helpful.


posted by Kevin Bussey at 4/18/2006 11:08:00 PM

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Brother Kevin,

I like what you've written, especially #1. But how do you get the new administration not to be judged by quality of new church plants rather than number of them?

Love in Christ,

Jeff

4/19/2006 01:31:00 AM  
Blogger David Phillips said...

Kevin,

Regarding #1...Here in Maryland/Delaware, we have a assessment process for church planters that is second to none. We assessors spend a good bit of time with you and help you determine if you can do a "hot start" (just you and your family) or a "cold start" (got to have a team or core group from another church). And we won't let you do a hot start if you're not equipped to do so.

We actually have a 90% success rate for church plants here!

Our assessment process is second to none and if you don't pass assessment, you don't get funding from the state (I'm not sure about NAMB, but I don't think so).

Anyway...it's the adoption of assessments like this that would help in the planting process and develop better plants rather than just lighting up a bunch of plants and seeing what happens.

4/19/2006 08:04:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/19/2006 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

David,

That's great to hear about Maryland/Deleware. I went thru the NAMB assessment. In our case we had the #'s as far as people. Unfortunately we were attracting mostly college students and they don't pay the bills.

In Georgia, where we planted, they bragged about starting 120 in one year. That is crazy. They would give any planter $5K no matter what. That is a waste of $ in my opinion. Why not plant only 5 churches and a year and commit $200K a year for 5 years. I'll bet the success rate would be 100%. Not only that but use the Church plant as a breeding ground for starting more churches. Bring in college and seminary students to serve as interns, etc.

Less is more!

4/19/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Gary Lamb said...

Love ya dude but got to totally disagree with #1. yes, they need to start less churches and give the planst more but 200 grand for 5 years and three staff guys? Give me a break, that isn't going to happen and to be honest, I don't think it should.

I personally borrowed 25 grand to start Ridge Stone and all of our staff raised their support. Our mother church gave us 6 families (who left after three months) and 10 grand.

I woldn't trade those days of being broke for anything. I depended more on God then ever before. We had another plant start at the same time with a TON of money and didn't make it.

I am convinced money has nothing to do with a successful church plant. Ed Stetzer has done the research and it backs this up.

Guys that know how to make it, will make it.

Of course, I wouldn't have turned down the money...actually yeah I probably would have.

They need to do more but there has to be an element of risk and faith there as well.

Just my 2 cents.

4/19/2006 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Gary,

I won't argue with you-obviously it worked well for you. Maybe it has more to do with the mother church's help.

We didn't have any physical help from our sponsor. I'm grateful for the $, but I would have taken people anyday.

4/19/2006 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger Gary Lamb said...

I wasn't knocking your work here in any way bro. You guys were pioneers in this area that is hard. However we had 6 families from our mother church who did nothing but hinder us. They left about three months in and it was the best thing to happen to us.

I think the bottom line is God does what he wants whether there are people or money. I have seen plants be succesful under every circumstance and I have seen families fail under circumstance.

4/19/2006 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Gary,

I didn't take it that way. You are in another class, my friend. I am grateful for what God is doing at the Stone!

I'm praying that our church starts many new works in the near future!

4/19/2006 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger art rogers said...

I liked #1. that is a thought completely new to the process.

I think you are on to something there.

4/19/2006 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Sweatman said...

Kevin,

I think there is some merit to your idea about having multiple staff at the beginning of the church plant. One of my former pastors planted a church, and they started out with two staff members (him and another pastor). I believe that this contributed to the success of their plant, because my former pastor's personality, interests, and giftedness would make it very unlikely that he could plant a successful church on his own. I know that I could never plant a church on my own, but if I was surrounded by a well balanced team then I believe we could.

As far as funding, I believe there should be a flexible approach. Some churches become self-supporting more quickly than others. For example, a church plant in Franklin, TN (one of the wealthier suburbs of Nashville) would probably become self-supporting more quickly than a church plant between Adams and Kentucky Streets here in Bowling Green (an inner city neighborhood adjoining a university campus). Unfortunately, organizations tend to develop one-size-fits-all policies that do not take into account individual circumstances and contexts.

4/20/2006 02:50:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Tim,

You make some great points. I just through out a number. Gary is probably right that is not realistic. However, there may be some places that will never be self-supporting.

For example, Hill Country Bible Church in Austin, TX started a church on the campus of the University of Texas. They realize that college students will never be able to pay all of the bills so the church has committed to underwrite the church. Hill Country has a church planting training center and they pay a planter's salary for the 1st year while they are in training. The second year they have a budget from members who are going to plant the new church.

4/20/2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

I can't even spell. I meant I threw out a number! :)

4/20/2006 11:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

get to know me

article in local paper
i am recovering pharisee
origin of k-dawg


Reading Now

The Cure for the Common Life
by Max Lucado



Recent Reads

The Creative Leader: Unleashing the Power of Your Creative Potential
by Ed Young Jr.


Your Spritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow
by C. Peter Wagner



Why Men Hate Going to Church
by David Murrow


Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
by Aubrey Malphurs



must reads


The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
by Andy Stanley


Choosing to Cheat : Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
by Andy Stanley


The Best Question Ever
by Andy Stanley


Radical Reformission, The: Reaching Out without Selling Out
by Mark Driscoll


A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
by Brian McLaren


The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren


Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
by Bill Hybels


A Passionate Church
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad


A Passionate Life
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad



Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
by Donald Miller


Searching for God Knows What
by Donald Miller



Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda
by Henry Blackaby, Richard Blackaby


previous posts

New Video from NWBTS
Priceless moment....
Newest twist on the Lord's Supper
Whew.....................
Easter Thoughts
On the condition of anonymity.....
Is it better to be right or save people from hell?
A true fisher of men............
Wisdom from the Plains............
Public Service for SBC Convention.

creative commons
Subscribe with Bloglines Blogarama - The Blogs Directory Add to My Yahoo! Southern Baptist Blog
Aggregator Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My blog is worth $18,065.28.
How much is your blog worth?

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
&