about me

Kevin Bussey (aka k-dawg)
Lead Pastor
Charlotte, NC, USA


Samford University: B.S. Public Administration, 1985
University of Alabama at Birmingham: M.A. Education, 1988

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary: MDivBL, 1995


Married to:
Cassandra (6-25-88)

Children:
Jacob
Hope

quote of the week

"Pastor I don't like your plans" Bisagno, "what are your plans." man, "I don't have any." Bisagno, "I like my plans better than yours." .

Dr. John R. Bisagno:


blogs i read

marty duren
joe kennedy
art rogers
stuart delony
wade burleson
kiki cherry
david phillips
dorcas hawker
arkansas rasorbaptist
cb scott
ben cole
tim sweatman
jason sampler
mark mansheim
adam feldman
scott freeman
wes kenny
alan cross
john stickley
bowden mcelroy
c w
jamie wootten
nate goodwin
paul littleton
jeff richard young
J. A. Gillmartin
villa rica
phillips lynn
micah fries
preachin jesus
morris chapman
tim sweetman
kevin lancaster
jeremy roberts
al mohler
ronnie floyd
david rogers
sbc bloggers
greg pouncey
jason burns
howie luvzus
gary lamb
angela davis
neil elmore
jason shepherd
monday morning insight
wayne cordeiro
Southern Baptist Blog Aggregator

favorite links

dmbc
my parents ministry
starbucks
starbucks gossip
the ooze
willowcreek association
purpose driven
northpoint community church
springs church
albert pujols
shaun alexander
john maxwell
element 2
dale jarrett
bama magazine
bible gateway
biblical studies foundation

subscribe here

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Student Guru!


powered by Bloglet

listening [to]


building 429: rise


chris tomlin: live from austin music hall


various: music inspired by the chronicles of narnia


fusebox: once again


passion: How Great Is Our God


storyside:b : everything and more


delirious?: the mission bell


hillsong united: look to you



 

Sunday, March 12, 2006

What is going to be our 911?

In my lifetime there are several events that I remember vididly. I remember where I was when I heard President Regan was shot. I remember watching the Shuttle Challenger Crash as well as the Columbia. I'm not old enough to remember the Great Depression or Pearl Harbor, but I've studied them in school. None of us will ever forget September 11, 2001. I was at Starbucks (go figure) hanging out with some guys in Towne Lake, GA. I remember rushing home and watching the events all day long. That day changed our country forever. All of those tragedies have a way of bringing people back to God. There have been certain days in my Baptist Life I will remember also. I remember being Baptised @ Emmanuel Baptist Church, Tuscaloosa, AL. I remember being accepted to Samford and Southwestern Seminary and graduating from both. Those were all great events. But I will also never forget the day the Southwestern Board of Trustees fired Dr. Rusell Dilday and locked him out of his office. I was stunned as the announcement was made following our Chapel service. That day changed my view of Baptist life forever. What kind of tragedy is going to have to happen to us before we wake up and realize that we don't have all of the answers? What is going to take place to bring us back to our knees? Look at some of the other denominations that have crumbled or become irrelevant because they could not disagree - agreeably. I realize I'm just one voice, but I'm tired of seeing us become arrogant and legalistic. I support the SBC because of our belief that the Bible is God's word and for our support of missionaries. I can't imagine how dishearting all of the "bloggate", "tonguegate" and "baptismgate" controversies must be to our missionaries across the world. They left their homes behind to share the love of Jesus and yet have to always be looking over their shoulders. I am grateful to all of our "M's!" Thanks for your service. Is Greensboro going to be the 911 for the SBC? Will we straighten the ship? Will we narrow our missionary personnel with legalistic policies or will we broaden our ministry by focusing on the essentials rather than the non-essentials. I believe our future starts this summer in Greensboro. The optimist in me sees revival. I don't have time for the pesimist thinking!

posted by Kevin Bussey at 3/12/2006 02:03:00 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger art rogers said...

I remember that day when Dr. Dilday was fired. I was in Greek with Dr. Vaughn while the doors were closed and about half the class was there. Dr. Vaughn was just shaking his head in disbelief. Most of us left after talking about it with him and went to the foyer outside the meeting.

What was unbelievable about it was not that they wanted to fire Dr. Dilday. As Trustees, they had the right to do it if they chose. It is just that they had spent the previous several days telling Dr. Dilday and students in meeting in the student center and in the open sessions of the Board meetings that Dr. Dilday's job was secure.

The next thing you know, they are in executive session and it all goes sideways from there.

Firing Dr. Dilday is an issue completely seperate from the one of being open and honest - disagreeing with love and concern for one another.

I think Greensboro should be the place where we make tht stand by dealing with others open and honestly while instituting policies that our convention must be doing the same.

3/13/2006 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

get to know me

article in local paper
i am recovering pharisee
origin of k-dawg


Reading Now

The Cure for the Common Life
by Max Lucado



Recent Reads

The Creative Leader: Unleashing the Power of Your Creative Potential
by Ed Young Jr.


Your Spritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow
by C. Peter Wagner



Why Men Hate Going to Church
by David Murrow


Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
by Aubrey Malphurs



must reads


The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
by Andy Stanley


Choosing to Cheat : Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
by Andy Stanley


The Best Question Ever
by Andy Stanley


Radical Reformission, The: Reaching Out without Selling Out
by Mark Driscoll


A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
by Brian McLaren


The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren


Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
by Bill Hybels


A Passionate Church
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad


A Passionate Life
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad



Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
by Donald Miller


Searching for God Knows What
by Donald Miller



Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda
by Henry Blackaby, Richard Blackaby


previous posts

Dysfunction in the SBC...........
Are we becoming Pharisees?
Thanks to the Apostle Peter.............
The IMB BOT BRIEF
I'm confused...
Upcoming promotions
Sad death of Superman's wife....
NASCAR Hall of fame!
Priority Mail?
Bring out your dead..........

creative commons
Subscribe with Bloglines Blogarama - The Blogs Directory Add to My Yahoo! Southern Baptist Blog
Aggregator Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My blog is worth $18,065.28.
How much is your blog worth?

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
&