about me

Kevin Bussey (aka k-dawg)
Lead Pastor
Charlotte, NC, USA


Samford University: B.S. Public Administration, 1985
University of Alabama at Birmingham: M.A. Education, 1988

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary: MDivBL, 1995


Married to:
Cassandra (6-25-88)

Children:
Jacob
Hope

quote of the week

"Pastor I don't like your plans" Bisagno, "what are your plans." man, "I don't have any." Bisagno, "I like my plans better than yours." .

Dr. John R. Bisagno:


blogs i read

marty duren
joe kennedy
art rogers
stuart delony
wade burleson
kiki cherry
david phillips
dorcas hawker
arkansas rasorbaptist
cb scott
ben cole
tim sweatman
jason sampler
mark mansheim
adam feldman
scott freeman
wes kenny
alan cross
john stickley
bowden mcelroy
c w
jamie wootten
nate goodwin
paul littleton
jeff richard young
J. A. Gillmartin
villa rica
phillips lynn
micah fries
preachin jesus
morris chapman
tim sweetman
kevin lancaster
jeremy roberts
al mohler
ronnie floyd
david rogers
sbc bloggers
greg pouncey
jason burns
howie luvzus
gary lamb
angela davis
neil elmore
jason shepherd
monday morning insight
wayne cordeiro
Southern Baptist Blog Aggregator

favorite links

dmbc
my parents ministry
starbucks
starbucks gossip
the ooze
willowcreek association
purpose driven
northpoint community church
springs church
albert pujols
shaun alexander
john maxwell
element 2
dale jarrett
bama magazine
bible gateway
biblical studies foundation

subscribe here

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Student Guru!


powered by Bloglet

listening [to]


building 429: rise


chris tomlin: live from austin music hall


various: music inspired by the chronicles of narnia


fusebox: once again


passion: How Great Is Our God


storyside:b : everything and more


delirious?: the mission bell


hillsong united: look to you



 

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Our shrinking world.....

I started this blog over a year ago when I was a Next Gen Pastor just to connect with some of my students. Now, I'm pastoring a church in Charlotte, NC and have connected with people from all over the world. I have been amazed at how small the world has become because of the internet. Today I had more hits on my site than ever. It is not because I said anything profound-- It is because two men who have a huge influence in the "blogging" world have linked me this weekend. Marty Duren is the author of SBC Outpost. His blog has to be the most read blog in SBC life. Marty is a great guy who has taken time to talk with me about what to expect when I moved to a transitioning church to become the pastor. Marty's conviction about the SBC has given me the kick in the pants I needed to quit being a silent supporter of reform in the SBC. Wade Burleson has taken more abuse the last 2 months than he deserves. He has a love for missions and missionaries around the world. His stand for his convictions that many of us younger pastors agree with has been an inspiration. He is the type of example that the younger leaders have been looking for. Because of Wade and Marty linking my posts this weekend, many new people from all over the world are reading my humble blog. To our missionaries around the world--Thanks for your sacrifice! Thanks for sharing Jesus and doing a job that not many people would do. I think of the Geoff Moore song, "Only a Fool" when I think of you. Thank you!!!!! All of our missionaries are in my prayers! The reason I am in the SBC is because of our conviction that the Bible is God's word and for our support of missionaries. I am saddened at the politics I have seen at work within our denomination. Many of us younger pastors have become disillusioned as we have seen good men and women's character trashed. I witnessed a Seminary President fired and then find out his replacement was forced out too. Does this bring glory to God? The IMB controversy has led to a character assisination of Wade Burleson. Is that honoring God? We have a "Baptist" state paper make accusations about NAMB without giving NAMB a chance to respond before the paper printed the story. Does that bring honor to God? What kind of heritage are we going to leave for the next generation? Are we going to be know as closed-minded, always right, God's chosen denomiation? Or are we going to be known for a denomination that loves God and cooperates with like-minded believers? My prayer is that we are know for loving God with all our hearts and loving our neighbors as ourselves.

posted by Kevin Bussey at 2/19/2006 12:27:00 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger Joe Kennedy said...

now aren't you glad angela got you and me into this whole thing?

2/19/2006 02:41:00 AM  
Blogger art rogers said...

And, Kevin, I owe you a word of thanks for all the help you have given me with my blog. If anyone notices layout similarities between mine and Kevin's blogs, it is because he helped me walk through making it into more than the standard template.

Thannks, Kdawg, I owe you.

2/19/2006 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Your welcome Art,

Joe Kennedy gave me this template. Joe is very talented and I have to give him props.

2/19/2006 02:30:00 PM  
Blogger Alan Cross said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog lately, too, Kevin. I started following the links from Marty Duren, whom I found from another blog that was referenced to by Andrew Jones, a.k.a., Tallskinnykiwi, who I knew when I was at Golden Gate and doing ministry in S.F. in the late 90's. He wrote about the IMB controversy from another blog that he read and I got interested. So . . . that is how I found you a couple of weeks ago. You have really encouraged me and it is great to be reading the thoughts of other young SBC pastors who are thinking in similar ways. And, you linked to me, which is always cool!

I pastor a young, contemporary SBC church in Montgomery, AL that has about 200 members. I'm 31, so I am pretty much the youngest pastor in my association by 8-10 years. While I love learning from the older pastors and I hang out with them as much as possible, it is great to be sharpened by guys who are thinking along the same lines as me and my leadership team. God bless you.

2/19/2006 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger art rogers said...

Hey, it's late Sunday and I just got a stat counter that works. It's frankly a little overwhelming to see how many people are looking at my blog. It's a good thing, I guess, that I didn't have it Friday when we got listed on SBC Outpost and Grace and Truth to you.

I guess thanks are due to Joe also since he gave the template to you first. Thanks, Joe.

2/19/2006 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Marty Duren said...

Thanks to Joe, too, for my template. You da man!

Most all of us owe a debt to two people:
Jimmy Draper, whose now shut down Younger Leader Forum enabled a lot of people to get to know one another; and,

Steve McCoy, whose Missional Baptist Blog opened the door for a multitude of connections.

2/21/2006 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Sweatman said...

In addition to everything else he has done for the SBC, Jimmy Draper may also go down as the father of SBC blogging, as many of us SBC bloggers started out on the LifeWay Younger Leaders Forum. Who knows, blogging may be one of the tools God uses to bring the SBC back to where it needs to be. Blogs have already led a number of younger leaders to get involved in SBC matters. They are also bringing together many brothers and sisters in Christ from around the world who otherwise would never have even known that each other existed. This unity can only make us stronger. The blogs have also encouraged many of us by allowing us to communicate with other like-minded believers who have the same struggles as we do. The powers that be may see this shrinking world as a threat, but I believe it will only strengthen us.

2/22/2006 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

get to know me

article in local paper
i am recovering pharisee
origin of k-dawg


Reading Now

The Cure for the Common Life
by Max Lucado



Recent Reads

The Creative Leader: Unleashing the Power of Your Creative Potential
by Ed Young Jr.


Your Spritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow
by C. Peter Wagner



Why Men Hate Going to Church
by David Murrow


Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
by Aubrey Malphurs



must reads


The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
by Andy Stanley


Choosing to Cheat : Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
by Andy Stanley


The Best Question Ever
by Andy Stanley


Radical Reformission, The: Reaching Out without Selling Out
by Mark Driscoll


A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
by Brian McLaren


The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren


Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
by Bill Hybels


A Passionate Church
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad


A Passionate Life
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad



Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
by Donald Miller


Searching for God Knows What
by Donald Miller



Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda
by Henry Blackaby, Richard Blackaby


previous posts

The lost art of encouragement..........
An apology is due............
I owe Cassandra............
Dumb Crook News.....
How do we find balance?
I got tagged.....
And we should care because..............
Influencing the secular world...........
The Shaggy Dog is her boyfriend!
Why discipleship?

creative commons
Subscribe with Bloglines Blogarama - The Blogs Directory Add to My Yahoo! Southern Baptist Blog
Aggregator Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My blog is worth $18,065.28.
How much is your blog worth?

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
&