about me

Kevin Bussey (aka k-dawg)
Lead Pastor
Charlotte, NC, USA


Samford University: B.S. Public Administration, 1985
University of Alabama at Birmingham: M.A. Education, 1988

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary: MDivBL, 1995


Married to:
Cassandra (6-25-88)

Children:
Jacob
Hope

quote of the week

"Pastor I don't like your plans" Bisagno, "what are your plans." man, "I don't have any." Bisagno, "I like my plans better than yours." .

Dr. John R. Bisagno:


blogs i read

marty duren
joe kennedy
art rogers
stuart delony
wade burleson
kiki cherry
david phillips
dorcas hawker
arkansas rasorbaptist
cb scott
ben cole
tim sweatman
jason sampler
mark mansheim
adam feldman
scott freeman
wes kenny
alan cross
john stickley
bowden mcelroy
c w
jamie wootten
nate goodwin
paul littleton
jeff richard young
J. A. Gillmartin
villa rica
phillips lynn
micah fries
preachin jesus
morris chapman
tim sweetman
kevin lancaster
jeremy roberts
al mohler
ronnie floyd
david rogers
sbc bloggers
greg pouncey
jason burns
howie luvzus
gary lamb
angela davis
neil elmore
jason shepherd
monday morning insight
wayne cordeiro
Southern Baptist Blog Aggregator

favorite links

dmbc
my parents ministry
starbucks
starbucks gossip
the ooze
willowcreek association
purpose driven
northpoint community church
springs church
albert pujols
shaun alexander
john maxwell
element 2
dale jarrett
bama magazine
bible gateway
biblical studies foundation

subscribe here

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Student Guru!


powered by Bloglet

listening [to]


building 429: rise


chris tomlin: live from austin music hall


various: music inspired by the chronicles of narnia


fusebox: once again


passion: How Great Is Our God


storyside:b : everything and more


delirious?: the mission bell


hillsong united: look to you



 

Thursday, January 12, 2006

An open letter to the leaders of the SBC........

This is an attempt to be as gracious and respectful to the leadership in the Southern Baptist Convention. I have been a member of a SBC church since I was 11 years old. I was a member of Emmanuel Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, AL (which was a conservative church) in the 1970's. I felt called to vocational ministry but my church was concerned about my attending Samford University because of the "liberal" theology. I joined Shades Mountain Baptist and then Dawson Memorial while I was at Samford and UAB. I did not major in religion because I was scared of the "liberals." The fighting going on in SBC life drove me away from ministry! It wasn't until I joined Southside Baptist Church in Huntsville, AL that I surrendered to the calling I had 8-9 years earlier. I decided to attend Southwestern Seminary in Ft. Worth, TX because it was the so-called "Flagship" of the convention. I was told it was the one seminary with the least controversy. I fell in love with Southwestern. I loved my professors like Dr. Urrey, Dr. Lunceford, Dr. Fish, and our president Dr. Dilday. Then the day that scared me for life was when the trustees fired Dr. Dilday. We were told it was for our best interest. But Dr. Dilday is not a "liberal." He may cooperate with those who were not in the "Fundementalist" camp, but he is a good man. I saw how ugly politics can be in SBC life and vowed not to be involved in politics. I felt called to start a church a few years ago. I responded to Dr. Reccord's message at Peachtree Corners Baptist. I think very highly of him. I jumped through every hoop the leaders in the Convention asked. The people at NAMB were nothing but cooperative and supportive. One executive in another organization (not NAMB) tried to cheat me out of money that was promised to me. Again, I saw politics in action. It is bad when you have members of your denomination cheating you out of money. I again vowed I would not be involved in SBC politics. I was on staff with a large church in Alabama that had an ugly secret that I knew nothing about. After the pastor left (and 500 + people) the church decided to cut their staff's salaries. Again, I saw the ugliness of politics in SBC life. I was tempted to leave the calling God had put on my life because I felt my denomination didn't care about it's young leaders. Cooler heads prevailed. God was good and has placed me in a loving congregation in Charlotte, NC. But, I am again disturbed by the direction of the SBC. Wade Burleson who is a trustee of the International Mission Board has been asked by the trustees to be removed from his position just because he chose to speak for me and other young SBC pastors. I hurt for him and his family. I also hurt for the younger leaders in the SBC who feel we are not important. Many younger SBC pastors are leaving the SBC. I can understand why. My prayer and plea is that the leaders in the SBC will listen to those of us who are "COOPERATING CONSERVATIVES!" We love the SBC and want to be part of something bigger than ourselves. We love our history but are concerned about our future. I respectfully ask that you will allow us to help shape the future of the SBC. Kevin Bussey Charlotte, NC

posted by Kevin Bussey at 1/12/2006 01:43:00 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Kiki Cherry said...

Kevin,

I am so with you on this. Well-written letter.

So what are we supposed to do? I also just want to be Christlike and pursue my calling.

I love missions, and get so excited when I read about what God is doing through the IMB. What is going on right now just grieves me. I feel like an intruder has broken into my home and is threatening my family.

But I am tired of the messiness. What do you think the future holds for those of us who don't really want to be fighting battles, but rather being allowed to pursue our God-given callings?

1/12/2006 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Kiki,

I thank God for our missionaries. As much as I hate the politics of the SBC, the cooperative program does allow us to reach so many people for Christ. I'm not ready to give up yet. I truly believe this whole mess has given us all a kick in the rear end so we will take hold of our denomination.

1/12/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jesse Smith said...

Indeed, politics are such an ugly thing. Our church has been experiencing some devistating politics lately that has cost us about 1/2 of the membership. Sometimes I wonder if my family wouldn't be better off if I returned to secular employment.

1/16/2006 11:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

get to know me

article in local paper
i am recovering pharisee
origin of k-dawg


Reading Now

The Cure for the Common Life
by Max Lucado



Recent Reads

The Creative Leader: Unleashing the Power of Your Creative Potential
by Ed Young Jr.


Your Spritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow
by C. Peter Wagner



Why Men Hate Going to Church
by David Murrow


Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders
by Aubrey Malphurs



must reads


The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
by Andy Stanley


Choosing to Cheat : Who Wins When Family and Work Collide?
by Andy Stanley


The Best Question Ever
by Andy Stanley


Radical Reformission, The: Reaching Out without Selling Out
by Mark Driscoll


A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
by Brian McLaren


The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren


Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
by Bill Hybels


A Passionate Church
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad


A Passionate Life
by Mike Breen and Walt Kallenstad



Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
by Donald Miller


Searching for God Knows What
by Donald Miller



Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda
by Henry Blackaby, Richard Blackaby


previous posts

The Power Delusion..........
Prayer for a New Church part 2
Words don't do justice sometimes......
Have you ever noticed?
It always comes back to Love....
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Three R's..........
How do you measure success in church?
NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!
Reversal of News

creative commons
Subscribe with Bloglines Blogarama - The Blogs Directory Add to My Yahoo! Southern Baptist Blog
Aggregator Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My blog is worth $18,065.28.
How much is your blog worth?

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
&